State Authorization


State Authorization

State Authorization for Distance Education

The University of Colorado must be authorized, exempted from authorization, or not under the jurisdiction of regulation in any state where students live and take online courses or participate in experiential learning activities (e.g., internships, clinical experiences, and field experiences) outside of Colorado.


Currently, we cannot accept or enroll students living in Delaware in our online courses and programs. We cannot send prospective or current students to Kentucky to participate in any experiential learning activities.

We can accept and enroll students living in California, Connecticut, Kentucky (online courses and programs only), Florida, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Utah, and Wisconsin. We can also accept and enroll students living in a state that is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement. (Please read below under "State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement.")

Additionally, certain online programs leading to professional licensure (e.g. nursing, teaching) may only accept students living in certain states. Please check with a program advisor to determine whether that program is offered in your state.

Please note that the university is in the process of obtaining state authorization in some of the remaining states. Because authorization has yet to be received in all states, prospective and current students participating in any online or experiential learning activity outside of Colorado should contact us before making a commitment to the activity.

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement


In February 2015, the University of Colorado was approved by Colorado to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education.

Participating in SARA allows the university to offer online education and certain experiential learning activities to students living in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

For specific questions please contact:


Christine Galdston
State Authorization Compliance Specialist

Professional Licensure

Prospective and currently enrolled students interested in courses, programs, certificates, or degrees that lead to professional licensure must understand their state licensing board's requirements prior to enrolling. For more information, visit

Complaint Resolution Procedures

Online and Distance Education Student Complaint Resolution

Online and distance education students may file a complaint at by submitting a description, including year, term, course, section and instructor if course-related, of the complaint and any remedy being sought, along with name and student identification number, and an e-mail and telephone number at which they may be reached.

Description of complaint resolution process

Upon receipt of a student complaint, Online & Academic Outreach (OAO) will evaluate whether there is sufficient information provided to allow the complaint to be referred and resolved. If not, OAO will contact the student requesting specific additional information. Once there is sufficient information available, OAO will forward the information to the appropriate campus unit. Upon receipt, that unit is expected to make contact with the student within five business days. The receiving unit will capture the resolution of the complaint in Cherwell. Each summer, OAO will review the complaints of the previous year and report a summary of them to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Online Education and Initiatives.

Students who have exhausted opportunities for resolution and are unsatisfied with their resolution may file a complaint with the Colorado Department of Higher Education. Additionally, students residing outside of Colorado may file a complaint with their state agency.

Any prospective or enrolled student may request a copy of a campus's accreditation and state approval documents. Complaints relating to the University's institutional quality may be filed with the Higher Learning Commission.

For more information on why, visit: State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA).

Institutional Statement of Export Control Commitment and Support

Our mission is to extend the resources of The University of Colorado Colorado Springs in non-traditional ways by providing high quality educational, training and professional development opportunities to the community, state, nation and internationally. Online learning is a great option if you have a demanding work schedule and personal schedule. UCCS offers the curriculum and the flexibility you need to meet your educational and career goals. Our online courses are generally excluded from federal export control regulations.

The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the US Department of the Treasury administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions based on US foreign policy and national security goals against sanctioned and embargoed parties and countries, pursuant to 50 U.S.C. §1702. OFAC guidance provides that UCCS’s online courses are providing a service, which is generally not authorized, and requires a specific authorization for students in certain countries. That list of countries is available online at

All students from all countries are encouraged to apply to UCCS. If you see your country on the OFAC sanctioned list, please contact Matthew Cox, Director of Enrollment Management, at or 719-255-3375 to determine what options are available to you.

For more information, visit: Institutional Statement of Export Control Commitment and Support.